Environmental Tests

 

Both old and new homes have potential environmental concerns. Older homes may have lead paint, lead in the water because of the plumbing materials used or contain asbestos materials. Newer homes, are now built so tightly to conserve energy, may suffer from high levels of radon or mold due to a lack of air flow and ventalation. Any home with private water (wells) could be subject to water contamination by bacteria, chemicals (nitrates/nitrites) or lead. All of these contaminants can cause illness n humans.

RADON - gas occurs from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. It can enter any type building, where it can collect until dangerous levels are reached. Radon is a cancer-causing gas that cannot be seen, smelled or tasted but is found 1 of every 15 homes. Radon particles are trapped in the lungs damaging lung tissue and causing cancer over time. The Surgeon General states that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US after cigarette smoking, killing over 20,000 people each year and everyone is a potential victim. The EPA states that Radon levels of 4.0 picocurries per liter (pCi/L) or higher should be corrected. Radon can be in your home and not the home next door and the only way to know is to test! To find out more Call 800-SOS-RADON or visit  www.epa.gov/radon  
WATER CONTAMINATES - If you have a private water well, you should consider having the water tested. You alone are responsible for understanding the quality of the water. There are many things we can test water for  but the basic and most common tests are: 

BACTERIA - Can cause disease. Is the water potable

CHEMICAL - Nitrates/Nitrites result mainly from the use of fertilizers (farmland). Maryland and Virginia are among the top 15 states for release of these chemicals. Health effects from nitrates/nitrites include interference with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood causing shortness of breath, blueness of the skin, dieresis and hemorrhaging of the spleen.

LEAD - Usually comes from older pipe solder joints and brass fixtures. Rather than the well itself. Children are the most adversely affected because of their higher metabolism and the fact that lead can be absorbed more quickly into their systems. Brain damage, retardation, learning disabilities and damage to the kidneys and liver are all possible from exposure to lead dust or paint chips.
More information about wells is located at  www.epa.gov/safewater/privatewells/index2.html

MOLD - Is some times exaggerated. There is mold everywhere. If mold is visible during the inspection it is noted and discussed with the client. Testing for the type and quantity of mold may or may not be necessary. However, the moisture source, which mold requires to thrive must be eliminated. See what the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says about mold – Click 
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/moldresources.html
We are certified and prepared to sample for mold and help you if necessary.

SEPTIC SYSTEMS—or private waste disposal systems require routine maintenance. You may want to consider having the septic system tested. We can provide a septic dye test or we can schedule a full septic certification. The dye test is a simple test performed during the inspection by flooding the septic system and checking for problems on the ground surface. The septic certification requires pumping out the tank and examining the interior of the tank and sometimes other parts of the system. For more information on septic systems visit
  www.inspect-ny.com/septic/buyguide.htm



We are your Affordable Choice! Call Today!
443-333-1890